If you have a Domain Controller older than Windows Server 2012 R2, you will need to import Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 Administrative Templates to your Group Policy Management. This will give you a chance to use policies designed for the latest MS operating systems.
- Download msi file from the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=41193
- Double-click on msi file to unpack the Policy Definitions (default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Group Policy\Windows 8.1-Windows Server 2012 R2\PolicyDefinitions)
- Copy en-us folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Group Policy\Windows 8.1-Windows Server 2012 R2\PolicyDefinitions\en-us) and all admx files to PolicyDefinitions folder
- Navigate to ‘C:\Windows\sysvol\domain\Policies’ and create a folder PolicyDefinitions
- Close Group Policy console and re-open
- Check that new Server 2012 R2 group policy settings appeared (i.e. you can see “Start Screen Layout” group policy object in ‘User Configuration \ Polices \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar’